Welcome! This page provides a map of options for getting involved with Effective Altruism (EA) whether you are brand new to the community or have been a part of it for years.
Each item on this list has been handpicked and placed in sequence, like signposts along a path.
If you notice yourself finding value with this list, then consider setting a reminder to return to this page every three months or so to see what awaits further down the path.
May your journey be fulfilling and impactful.
Meet with an organizer of our community to discuss careers, donations, goals for the year, and the EA community locally and globally.
2. GET NOTIFICATIONS FOR EATO’S EVENTS & COMMUNITY UPDATES BY JOINING OUR ONLINE LISTS
Find out about weekly events: concepts, topics, workshops, socials, transformative experiences, and more. We are a community that aims to be welcoming and helpful. Here is the buffet of options, EATO’s online event & community offerings:
- EATO Meetup Group (the best source for notifications about public events)
- EATO Google Calendar (automatic event scheduling and notifications)
- EATO Facebook Group (discussions and events)
- EATO Monthly Newsletter (events and community news)
It is difficult to work out how we can best help contribute to solving global problems, and learning is often the best place to start, so get these helpful updates from the community.
Vox’s Future Perfect mailing list is a great way to get very high quality and mostly EA content regularly.
Join a group related to the areas most relevant to you and hear about useful events and discussions whether online, locally, or through creating your own with our help.
Ask questions, share your knowledge, and see what others are talking about on the EA forum.
Dear Canadian Donors, we would love to help you give to charities and organizations that are likely to do the most good; RC Forward is the leading resource for making well-informed, high-impact, tax-deductible donations.
Further, consider challenging yourself and your community to take a pledge:
1. One for the World is a movement of people changing charitable giving to end extreme poverty, growing especially quickly among students and young professionals.
2. Giving What We Can is a community of effective givers. “We now have 4,522 members, who have pledged to donate 10% of their income over the course of their careers. So far, our members have donated more than $126,751,939 to charity.” – GWWC 2020 01 27
See the projects our community members are working on and connect with the ones that pique your interest.
8. COMMUNITY BUILDING: APPLY TO HELP US RUN EA TORONTO & TRY TO SET UP YOUR OWN GROUP
We’re eager to work with you to build a sustainable and vibrant community that connects EA concepts to your workplace, university, or city. Community matters, whether it’s just a few friends or a global network.
The survey can take less than 5 minutes to fill out fully, and it plays a crucial role in basing EATO’s community building strategy on evidence.
For us to be effective in our altruism we need relevant and accurate information.
EATO’s efforts and resource allocations are built on feedback and data from community members, and we need this information to verify the degree to which we are responsible for causing effective and positive social impact or for wasting resources and causing harm.
If you have interacted with the EATO community over the last year, then please take the time to help us understand our impact and improve our strategy, especially if you’d like to report a concrete outcome or suggest a change for the community.
This is a longer, and growing, list of ways to get involved, made for a global audience.